Saturday, December 19, 2015

Advent 21: SAVOURIES

A savoury is the final course of a traditional British formal meal, following the sweet pudding or dessert course. 


I've never partaken of a formal British meal, except vicariously through Upstairs, Downstairs, Downton Abbey and the like.  Tom and I did eat at Simpson's in the Strand once, the famous carvory in London, but that's more about show than it is about following all the courses of an actual traditional meal.

The British term for dessert, which is "pudding," delights me.  I'm not sure why, but probably just because I'm such an anglophile.

Apparently, back in the day, the English upper crust ate desserts (haha, the upper crust ate desserts, get it?) that were international in scope: mousse, pastries, fancy cakes, etc.  The poor folk, though, were confined to cheaper desserts, such as rice pudding or Spotted Dick.  (Another term that delights me. I will never forget sitting in a pub in Stratford-upon-Avon with two of my sons, and looking at their crimson faces just after the waitress had offered them Spotted Dick for dessert.  Suet pudding with dried fruit, by the way.)  Anyway, eventually the word pudding became synonymous with dessert.

The thing about desserts is, sometimes the raging sweet tooth is more titillated than satisfied by the sweet course.  And thus the savoury course was born.   

Escoffier, the legendary 19th-century French chef who invented veal stock, felt sure that a savoury fifth taste was the secret of his success, but everyone was too busy gorging on his food to take much notice of his theories. 
~Amy Fleming, The Guardian

A few salty bites of something--cheese, nuts, anchovies on toast if you're a Brit--with, say, a glass of port--these are supposed to soothe the taste buds, leaving you to push back from the table and walk away satiated; assuming you can still walk.

Maybe that theory is why we Americans like the darker taste of tea or coffee with dessert?
 

This season of the year is a lot like a big feast.  


I started musing about Advent as a banquet because a good friend of mine recently commented that I was always so busy, so productive, but she wished I could just stop and savor all that I did more often.  A very insightful comment.

During this overly busy time of year, I hope each of us can find ways to add a "savoury" to our feast. 

A time to sit back, enjoy, and be at peace with all the world.

 

My brother, Jesus.
It happens every year.
I think that this will be the year that I have a reflective Advent....
All around me are the signs rushing me to Christmas
and some kind of celebration that equates spending with love.
I need your help.
I want to slow my world down....
I need Advent, these weeks of reflection....
Help me to feel it in my heart....

  ~Taken from a prayer from Creighton University's Online Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment