Monday, December 7, 2015

Advent 9: BLOG

Blog:  a word that starts with a little explosion and ends with a thump.


Apparently the word is a truncated version of the 1990's term web log (as in Captain's Log, for all of us who grew up with Star Trek. Which is pretty much everybody.)  A verb form has also developed (blogging) as well as a second noun (blogger) i.e., the one who blogs.    

So we've arrived at Day Nine in our mutual blogging adventure, and by my calculations that puts us exactly one third of the way through our Advent Reflections experience.  (11/29 through 12/25 = 27 posts; 9 x 3 = 27.  But who's counting?)


A number of you have mentioned that writing a daily blog, even for just 27 days, is a big commitment.  To quote a reader who is a fellow writer, "I'd be tearing my hair out."  Others mentioned they hoped I was enjoying the process, and that they were loving the posts, but it was clear they wondered about the toll the effort might take.  A few offered the wise suggestion that a sentence or two is enough of a post from time to time.  (Thank you!  See yesterday's post!)

Since I'm a bona fide, card carrying, highly experienced worrier, I put in extra worry time before this project began:  What if I can't think of anything to say?  And if I do, will I say it well enough? 


Then your feedback started coming in, and I felt much better.  In fact, I took probably ten minutes to feel great--and then I started worrying about whether I could sustain a fresh and inviting attitude all the way to the end.

Luckily, I have a good sense of humor to accompany my highly developed anxiety.

Here's the thing:  I thought I was giving you a gift, and it turns out you gave me one. 


Knowing that you are there, reading and reflecting along with me, has focused my Advent awareness in ways that I won't pretend are always easy, but they are incredibly valuable.

I am much less likely to go off shopping or wherever, and slip into that distracted unconsciousness that is all too easy to fall into.  Instead, my eyes and ears and heart and mind are open, looking for Spirit in it all; waiting to discover something I can share with you that might lift your hearts or give you pause or open your eyes to something new.

It's not just me talking; it's you listening as well.  Energetically, without you my job would be only half done.  For what's the use of a gift that is not received?  The communion is only half experienced.


Surely you deserve a more thoughtful term than "blog followers." 

So, with your kind permission, I'm going to continue to use "soul friends."  Anamchairde

Thank you.







No comments:

Post a Comment